Translate

Friday 13 December 2013

20 Questions

These lists of questions come along on Facebook all the time, and they're usually pretty inane. However, I saw this one on my friend's page, and it made me think about some interesting things.


1. What did you do during your childhood summers?

Depends on my age, really. When I was younger, I went camping with my grandparents and spent most days outside, either rolling down the hill in the front yard of my grandparents' house or swimming in their pool. As I got older, I went to church camp, which was not always the best experience for me. As a teenager, I worked at Dollywood, a theme park in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

2. If you did not need the money what would you do for work?

Many women would say they want to stay home. But I did that for two and a half years, and it nearly drove me insane. I would, however, spend quality time working on my writing and do charity work to help others in need.

3. What is the strangest food you have ever eaten?

I will admit I have tried grilled eel at a Korean restaurant in Saudi Arabia. It was not my favorite. I have also eaten tongue. Surprisingly, it was disgusting. But I didn't care for the texture. Why did I eat tongue? Because my daughter wanted to eat it at my sister-in-law's house, and I said if she was willing to try it, I had to be brave and give it a go.


4. What is the best costume you have worn?

Well, I've worn several, and some would venture to say that I wear one now. But I suppose the "best", meaning most costume-y, would be the time I dressed up in leather and fishnets for Halloween. I was about 17, I guess. Then I went with my friend's aunt to a get-together. She neglected to tell me it was for a church get-together.

5. If you had to act your age what behavior would you change?
 

Honestly, the only behaviors I want and need to change are about health. But those aren't age-related. If I had to choose a behavior I have that should change because I'm too old (or too young), it would be (twenty minutes later. . .) arguing with my sister. We're both too old to argue with each other about anything that's not seriously important. And, fortunately, what we argue about is never seriously important.

6. What part of pop culture do you wish would just go away?

Giving stupid nicknames to everything. For example, selfie. . .what's wrong with "picture" or "self portrait"? And "TomKat" or "Brangelina". Please. Gag.


7. What do you do to impress someone you are attracted to?

I don't change myself to impress others. I try to be honest at all times. However, I might amp up the humor a bit, if appropriate. Now that I'm married, when I want to impress Hubby, or simply catch his eye, I just do something special for him, like a nice dinner.

8. What habits would you like to be able to break?

I don't think all of the habits I want to change would fit on here, but these are a few:


  • eating too much junk food
  • procrastinating
  • going to bed late
  • avoiding exercise
  • worrying about my health
 
9.What is the prettiest city you have ever been to?

Rothenburg, Germany. It is this quaint Bavarian village with a defense wall running the perimeter of the town. You can tour the entire town by walking along the wall.

10. Can you do your job working from home?

Not unless all of my students join me. However, I do have to bring my work home with me sometimes.

11. What is your favorite song from a Disney Movie?

I like lots of Disney songs, so it's hard to pick a favorite. Some of the ones that come to mind:
  • "I'll Make a Man (Out of You)" from Mulan
  • "Once Upon a December" from Anastasia
  • "Kiss the Girl" from The Little Mermaid
  • "A Whole New World" from Aladdin
  • "Feed the Birds" and "Stay Awake" from Mary Poppins
I could go on and on.

12. Are you annoyed when other people do not "follow the rules" even if it does not affect you?

The older I get, the more frustrated I become. And perhaps it's because I live in a place where "following the rules" is more of a suggestion. For example, line-cutting makes me furious, even if I'm not standing in the same line. I have, on more than one occasion, spoken up for people who were being cut in on. But I have to admit that my annoyance is based on the rule. If it's a rule that is ridiculous and annoying itself, I could care less. Like bringing my own water to the movie theater. Who am I hurting?

13.Who is a woman from history that you respect?

I've thought about this for several days, and I know it says "a woman", but there are really two that I greatly respect. 

The first is Mary, mother of Jesus. To go through what she did - having a miraculous birth - to face opponents and those speaking ill of her - to raise a man who she knew was a prophet, a representative of God's grace and love - I'm sure she had some days where she was just like, "I think I'll sleep in. I've earned it."

The second is Mother Theresa. Here is this lady who spent the majority of her adult life living in the worst conditions in order to help others. She is my hero. I wish that I had the courage and ability to do what she did. She's such an inspiration and picture of love, tolerance and Godliness.

14. What charity do you support?

My daughter. Just kidding. (No, I do support her, but she's not a charity!) I don't give financially to any charity on a regular basis. I prefer to give directly to people who are in need at the time. For example, I've volunteered during cleanup of various storm recoveries. I've collected donations for others. But, I don't like to talk about giving charity, because I believe talking about it negates the reason for doing it in the first place: to please God and promote humanitarianism.

15. What is your favorite song from a Broadway musical?

"All I Ask of You" from The Phantom of the Opera

16. Who is somebody famous that you would have liked to have met?

My short list? Well, honestly, even though I am Muslim, Jesus is at the top of my list. Sure, there's no doubt I'd love to have met Prophet Muhammad. But all the world seems to disagree on exactly who Jesus was and what his purpose was on Earth.

17. What story from history inspires you?

There are lots of stories that have wonderful messages. Parables and fables, too. But one of the most inspiring stories from history is that of Rosa Parks. It gives me chills to hear it. Imagine staring in the face of adversity and saying, "No, I will not move."

18. What do you think makes a person good-looking?

Physically? Eyes and smile.
Otherwise? A sense of humor, wittiness, common interests, honesty, and interacting with children.

19. What is your favorite way to travel in the rain?
 
Well, I suppose it would be in a car, but not as the driver. I don't like flying in rain because of the lightning. And I prefer not to travel at all in the rain because it's dangerous. But if I had to, I guess I'd rather be in a car than on a motorcycle.

20. What are 3 random songs from your playlist?
 
I don't have a playlist. But 3 songs that I always turn the radio up for:

"Titanium" by David Guetta featuring Sia
"Wake Me Up" by Avicii
"Dear Darlin'" by Ollie Murs

No comments:

Post a Comment