Translate

Monday 23 December 2013

In Class Writing. . .

I'm sitting in class writing this blog, which to some (a lot) of you may seem a tad bit irresponsible.

Well, to be fair, the students are working in groups.  And, to be honest, it is writing class.  So, why can't I do a little writing myself?  I'm not avoiding duties.  I'm avoiding falling asleep.

See, although my favorite thing to do is to teach writing, I can't wrap my head around reading student writing at 8 am. There, I said it.

Some "experts" believe (and I agree) that creative writing is best done when a writer is tired. Apparently, the creative juices start flowing when we're sleep-deprived.  I know I've done some of my best writing when I was bordering on insanity from chronic flu-inspired insomnia.

But critical reading and response is not something I can do when my eyelids are droopy.

So, between answering questions here and there and explaining the assignment in detail to a group in the back whose "lead" member finally showed up 45 minutes late (and HAS a car, no less....), I'm composing this blog.

<insert sip of cold coffee> Blech.

I'm not writing as often as I'd like, and this is disgruntling to me. But it also serves as proof of why I needed the blog in the first place. I get so overwhelmed with the day-to-day activities I have to do, my own interests take a backseat to others'.

For example, the shortlist of things I've done this week include:

  • Hold a staff meeting for the Student Newspaper that I'm Supervising Editor for
  • Meet with the students who are actively producing the competition posters for our newspaper
  • Complete the editing on "The Guide for New Teachers", the handbook we (the Induction and Mentoring Committee, which I am also a member of) provide for....new teachers
  • Counsel people close to my heart.....a few times.....at various hours
  • Watch YouTube with my daughter (if you haven't seen it, "Cooking with Dog" is fabulous!)
  • Purchase cinema tickets for my daughter and I to go see "Frozen" this afternoon
  • Select my teaching preferences for next semester
  • Report a fly infestation in my classroom
  • Post flyers around the Language Centre and my teaching block
  • Work on The Paper
And this is pretty much only work-related. If I listed everything I've done at home and in my personal life, you'd quit reading and post "TL:DR" at the bottom of this blog. However, suffice it to say, I did manage to get in a daily shower and brushing my teeth several times, too.

So my goal, as this year (and writing class) winds to a close, is to publish more frequently.

And you can help!

In the comments, tell me what YOU'D like to read about. Sometimes I'm merely stumped for subject matter.

Do you have a blazing question? A curious question about me, my life, your life, all life? A topic you'd like to see me expound upon?

<laughing at the word "expound">

Drop me a comment!

Until next time, thanks for joining me!

No comments:

Post a Comment